World Wide Woodshed

Home Store Contact

Recording Formats


  • Sound Card

Any standard sound card can be used.

  • Disk space

Recorded audio can take up what used to be thought of as a lot of disk space. Fortunately, disks tend to be kind of huge today. To record CD-quality stereo sound, you need 10MB of disk space for every minute of audio. For learning songs, I generally record at CD-quality mono, which gives me same sound quality, sacrifices stereo, and only eats up half the space. Other space/quality tradeoffs are discussed in detail below.

  • Audio source with line or headphone out

You can record from any source that has one or more output jacks. Jacks labelled "Line", "Out", "Headphones" will all do. Hey, that's easy.

  • Appropriate connector cable

You'll need a connector cable to go from your audio source to your sound card's Line In jack. To attach to most soundcards,, one end should be a . The other end is whatever is required for the output jack on your sound source. For many newer devices (especially for headphone jacks), this will also be a stereo mini-phone plug. However, a cassette deck, receiver, mixer or other standard stereo component may well require a pair of RCA plugs. This requires that you get a dual-RCA to stereo mini-phone plug Y-cord. All of these cords are available for a few dollars in any Radio Shack or other electronics store, and in most stores that sell stereos.

Also, note that you can combine cables. If your computer is more than a couple of feet away from the sound source, then it should be easy to find a long stereo RCA cable, and to attach appropriate adapters at either end to convert it into the format you need.

 Click here for Step 2



Home  Site Map

Let other musicians know about SlowGold - link to us
Click here to subscribe to Woodsheddin', our very occasional e-newsletter
Send mail to with questions or comments about this web site.